Center Cory Withrow is filling in for the injured Matt Birk, but Withrow is still hoping for a quick…
Vikes Concerned About Birk Injury
Birk, who has never missed a game since becoming a starter in 2000, had an anti-inflammatory injection Monday, but, a day later, it had done nothing to ease the pain in the joint between his left and right pelvis.
While there was talk of giving Birk another injection, results from Tuesday's test will likely come to the Vikings later today. However, the early buzz among Vikings coaches and medicos is that Birk could well miss up to two or three weeks, which would make him unavailable for either the Cardinals or Falcons game.
The bright side, however, came from Tice, who said he has been assured by the medical staff that Birk's injury won't be long-term and that he will be ready for the season opener vs. the Cowboys.
* As a precaution, the Vikings planned to sign free agent center Billy Conaty today.
* In other injuries, Mike Nattiel (ankle) and Moe Williams (calf) were kept out of practice Tuesday. Both are expected to return later in the week.
* President Bush will be in Mankato today, but at this time, there are still no plans for him to stop by Vikings practice.
* The Vikings signed punter Travis Dorsch Tuesday and released punter Filip Filipovic. The Vikings had planned to draft Dorsch, who can also kickoff, in the 2002 draft, but the Bengals beat them to the punch.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Vikings show numerous flaws in 21-13 loss
The Vikings were conservative on offense and flawed on defense, leading to a 21-13 loss at Soldier Field.Read More
College Week 13: 10 Saturday Takeaways
Breaking down all the battles that mattered this weekend.Read More
Peterson issues statement, fires back at NFL
Adrian Peterson said in a statement that the NFL is trying to impose a “new process of discipline” on him, but he would cooperate at his “standard” Monday hearing.Read More
Bears relentlessly targeted Robinson
The Bears were rewarded for targeting Josh Robinson again and again, gaining more than half their passing yards that way. Just look at the stats and see what the principal characters said.Read More
OU's Perine rushes into record books
Norman has seen a lot of special days, but few will compare to what Samaje Perine did Saturday in rushing for 427 yards and five touchdowns.Read More
- 11 23 14 Packers @ Vikings game day thread
- The Peterson pushing up daises mustang thread
- Peterson suspended without pay for rest of the season
- NFL trying to make an example of Peterson
- Tate at practice